Know what is the Asperger Syndrome – Women Tips
THE Asperger's syndrome It is one of the Pervasive Developmental Disorders, but difficult to diagnose because it is dealing with a disease in which patients do not delay learning or cognitive process.
Often patients with the syndrome are confused with autistic, because of the similar characteristics of the disorders. The main problem of the disease is directly linked to difficulties in social interaction, communication and understanding of the behavior.
Unlike autism, Asperger carrier has no delay or learning disabilities. It wont be easy with numbers, presets, issues related to science and generally exhibit higher than the average IQ.
The speech therapist, expert in Autistic Spectrum Disorders, Milene Rossi Pereira Barbosa, explains "that Asperger syndrome is the same family as autism and is characterized by impairments in social interaction, but its development course is marked by a lack of any delay clinically significant in spoken language. "
THE Asperger's syndrome It is the result of a genetic disorder and affects more boys than girls. You can perform the diagnosis of the disease when the child is between 3 and 7 years old and is beginning their social life.
Common characteristics of people with Asperger:
- Has difficulty dealing with other people, interact socially;
- It has walking difficulties and have no skills with sports;
- can not understand metaphors, irony, double meaning words and is often labeled a naive;
- It has superior ability to deal with math, science, dates and memorization, and because it is sometimes mistaken for a genius;
- can not look into the eyes of another person when you are talking, you are to look lost without fixing it anywhere;
- You have difficulty understanding the feelings of others (for example, when someone is sad) and himself; and therefore can be considered insensitive;
- It has easy to learn to read alone, even very small;
- It has a peculiar speech and use different words with a vocabulary usually beyond her years.
In addition to having difficulties in social interaction, carriers of the syndrome often have motor problems, how to hold a pencil or grab a soccer ball. It is common that do not have skills with sports.
Another feature of the syndrome is that patients have difficulty understanding metaphors and ironies. They are extremely literal (pragmatic) and therefore, are sometimes treated as eccentrics. "For example, when greeted by a 'how are you?', The syndrome patients do not understand what the question is about how they are feeling, but if it is going on foot, by bus or is not doing, but getting" explains the doctor.
"Another striking feature of the syndrome carrier is limited interest and behavior. They talk constantly, until exhaustion on a particular subject which like, "said the pathologist.
Treatment for Asperger's Syndrome It is to improve the capabilities of the patient and find out their difficulties at school, with family and with the social world. The diagnosis is made by a multidisciplinary team consisting of a psychiatrist or neurologist, psychologist and speech therapist.
Dealing with the carrier of the syndrome can be tricky, but it is important that the family understand the difficulties and limitations that person. "The carrier of the syndrome has a logic of communication and different social world, and so it is important to understand how the patient's head," concludes the doctor.